Kevin and Spencer

Friday, June 3, 2011

(Kevin) Grasshoper cuisine

Hello world. 

Life is still happening here in Machinga. The roosters are still call in the early hours of the morning, the Malawian reggae and American hip hop still plays at the house next door, and the sun paints brillant colours across the sky every morning and night. At night time, I hang out on my straw mat under the night sky, while I cook nsima and watch the stars shine brighter than I've ever seen them shine. I asked Madertiso yesterday if he'd ever wanted to go to space. Apparently, it was never something he'd ever wanted to do. He then asked me if I've been. I laughed, and so, so wished I could have said yes. 

This week has presented me with some highlights:

1) Enjoyed a bowl of grass hopers with my 2-year old neighbor Eveh. Very nice! Highly recommended. 
2) Went to a restaurant for lunch, ordered Nsima instead of rice, and refused a fork and knife as I devoured the meal with my hands. People were confused, and I left content.
3) I can finally eat sugar cane (dzimbe) with my teeth. It is a very satisfying feeling.
4) I saw my neighbor Peter carry his daughter Eveh on his back with chitenge cloth. This is the first time I've seen a man carry a child like this, and it warmed my heart immensely.
5) Still relatively healthy - body, mind, and soul. 

Work is going slow, but steady. I'm nearly a quarter finished my placement, and there is still so much to do. I'm awaiting for funds to be released by the Malawian government so that the assessment of boreholes can start to take place by the extension agents. Until this happens, I'm trying to use ArcGIS to investigate how equitable the siting decisions for this project are from a qualitative perspective. I hope I can take it far - there's only one way to find out!

My partner Chris is very busy as of late, especially as he tries to coordinate all of the activities that happen here. As he's described before, you have to take into account that you're functioning in a new country, a new context, and only so much is in your control. The reality is that many times designs are submitted late, meetings are canceled because government officials are out of town or attend other meetings without notice, the power goes out frequently, funding is canceled or tied-up, allowances are demanded and aren't available...

All of these factors add up, and present serious challenges when you are a consultant who is trying to meet timelines to please the donors you're working for. Sometimes this even means making decisions that don't consider certain all factors and voices - all because time restrictions and deadlines won't allow for it.

A man approached me the other day, and asked me for money - "for something, for anything". When this happens, all I can do is say sorry and continue on my way. It's definitely not a good feeling. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it puts me in a down and reflective mood. This scenario happens at home in Canada on a daily basis, so why does it feel different here? I guess I think about the lack of resources and safety nets that exists here for people in poverty. But it probably shouldn't feel different. People facing poverty in Canada face barriers when trying to access resources, and are also not protected by the safety nets that should be protecting them.

Poverty sucks, and presents people with significant and often devestating challenges. Moblize yourself to affect change, in solidarity, both at home and in the lives of those you will never meet.

I'm off to the city this weekend to renew my visa. Should be interesting, stay tuned for more updates! 

Be well, and much love.

Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kevin!

    That is fascinating: what DOES feel different about saying no to someone asking for money in Canada vs Malawi?

    Take care,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete