Kevin and Spencer

Saturday, June 18, 2011

(Kevin) Untitled (Fight the mphamvu!)

I’ve decided to go with untitled this week. I’m at a point in this experience that I arrive at the end of the week, and realize there are hundreds of things that I could blog about. Field experiences, conversations, hypotheses, strange interactions, foods eaten, thoughts, challenges, and triumphs are just a few of those things. So how do I convey what’s happening here in just a few short paragraphs?

This week has been rough. I’m still getting used to the idea that Malawi is a country with its own unique culture and style that existed far before I existed. Some of these aspects work in Malawi’s favor, others – not so much. It’s the same for Canada. It seems like a simple thought, but it’s something that I have to remind myself when I find my thoughts and feelings incompatible with my surroundings. Questioning why things are the way they are is becoming a daily ritual – and it’s something that leaves me with more questions than answers.. On the personal side of things, I’ve had days when I’m on top of the world – feeling amazing about all of the learning, and there are days when don’t want to get out of bed – counting the weeks until home. Both are valid, and normal, and that’s okay.

Here are some bright lights and dim lights from the week:

Field Experiences
I spent a few days this week in the field with the Community Development Officer (CDO) for the project. We were crosschecking the rehabilitation assessments of boreholes that were completed by the Water Monitoring Assistants (WMAs). These assessments determine weather or not a borehole is eligible for rehabilitation by the project. Of the 100 or so of these forms that I checked over, the majority of them involved a request for pump rods. These are spare parts that need replacement every few years, and are typically the communities responsibility to replace (despite their steep cost). If the project replaces these parts once, what happens the next time they break down? One WMA told me that the project will empower communities by requiring them to open a bank account and raise 15,000MK (approximately $100US). “This will be the one and only time [we’ll replace pump rods]” he says. I’m not too sure about this..

Conversations
Talked with Yasin about why the water coverage situation in Malawi is in such bad shape. A significant factor is the political involvement in the siting of waterpoints. Essentially – you vote for and support me, and I’ll give you a waterpoint. Based other conversations, this practice still exists, even in Machinga.

Challenges
Realizing that successes are hard to find, and failure exists all over. Especially in this project. I show up at the office in the morning, only to see Chris and the rest of the staff correcting mistakes from the previous days activities, or working out problems they’re having with the government or the donor – the challenges are endless. Do I see success in this project? Sure, but it’s in sporadic, small doses, and that can mean serious de-motivation.

Triumphs
On Friday, I successfully arranged a 3 day visit to Ngokwe in July! Ngokwe is a Traditional Authority in the very northern part of the district. It has the lowest water coverage, and one of the lowest coverage functionality rates when it comes to water points in the district. Why is the water situation so bad? I suspect it’s because it is so far away – an obvious factor. But what about political will, community leadership, and accessibility to transportation and funds? How well were communities sensitized (i.e. made aware of and encouraged to apply for new water points) when this African Development Bank project arrived in the district? I hope to start to explore some of these questions.
Richard, one of the Water Monitoring Assistants, has agreed to provide transportation on his motorcycle in exchange for a full tank of gas. Done! I’ll even through in a lunch of chips (french fries) and coke each day. He’s a really great guy, and has expressed that he looks forward to the trip to ask me questions about the West. Should be quite the adventure.

That’s all for now.

Remember to take time for cooking, chatting, reflecting, and giving yourself credit.

Be well, and much love.

Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Kevin!
    Im excited for your trip to Ngokwe! An adventure indeed.
    Have fun a mid-summer retreat.

    ReplyDelete