Kevin and Spencer

Monday, June 13, 2011

(Spencer) Under My Pillow

.
Heres something I wrote on the bus from Accra to Tamale. I think I didn’t post it because I was afraid of giving the wrong impression of Ghana but I think as readers you are sensible enough to realize Ghanaian life is not at all like this. So take it with a grain of salt but it is fun none the less. Written on May 18. 
.
.
Here’s an interesting little tid-bit about long bus rides in Ghana. The following revelation holds true on all long bus rides as we have been told Robin the team Ghana lead, who has experienced this phenominom than she cares to ever relive. The buses are equipped with a single television up at the front which they use to play movies while driving.

What kind of movies do they play?

Seriously Lousy Ones!

Currently a flick titled Under My Pillows is playing. An over the top soap opera type film with my westernized twists and additions to appeal to all sorts of tastes. The plot involves;
·         Prostitutes fighting amongst each other
·         Threatening clients (in one scene a lady threatens to cut one man’s jeans if he doesn’t pay more for her services, as she walks off the song Soulja Boy plays in the back ground)
·         People cheating and having affairs
·         Complicated office politics where the prostitutes also seem to work (?)
·         A rich brother and sister who have inherited a business
·         Plus an assortment of other characters who I can’t follow.

All throughout the flick are pop music samples, crazy sound effects, and fast and slow motion shots. Contrary to the opinions of all the EWBers on the bus, the Ghanaians were loving it, or at least some of them. Laughter of in the form of big bellows blew back across the bus.  

“She is not a gold digger, she is someone I am in love with``

Spencer

Note: upon further inquiry Under My Pillows is a television series it seems, Nicaraguan in origin but filmed for Ghana. Nollywood is huge. Check it out this summer if you are curious!

**PS.  The blog delivery for the next few days has been changed, it was a pipe dream of mine to do one a day but it got a lot of content in the works and got one pretty cool idea for my return started.  

No comments:

Post a Comment