Kevin and Spencer

Friday, May 27, 2011

(Kevin) The baobabs are beautiful

Maderitso and I are getting along really well. We're just two dudes holding down the fort - cooking, cleaning, chatting, and walking to and from work. I really like his friends, and he is helping to push me to learn Chichewa. I find that when I'm surrounded by so many proficient English speakers, I don't push myself as hard to learn the language. When the incentive to be able to communicate effectively doesn't apply, the motivation to learn doesn't exist as much. I've acknowledged that learning isn't going as quickly as I'd like it to, and I'm ramping up. Maderitso is going to try and hold me accountable to speak more Chichewa around the house.
 
As I've learned over the last few weeks, taking care of a house is a lot of work when you're working full time - especially when you have no electricity or indoor plumbing. Experiencing the effort that's required to do all of theses things is really valuable to get a glimpse of Maderitso's reality. It's hard work man!

My health is good. I've managed to avoid sickness so far (knock on baobab - by the way, the big trees that I was talking about in my last post are actually baobab trees!), and I've been doing my best to take care mentally and physically. Because I'm eating so much refined flour and white sugar, my energy levels crash often. Because I have so much control over what we cook, I'm going to try to cook more energy sustaining foods. Drinking lots of water seems to help too. 

A baobab tree - much like the ones that line the landscape of Machinga.

Yesterday I had a very interesting and heartbreaking discussion with Maderitso and his friends about opportunity in Malawi, the cost of education, and fair trade. It was a conversation that left me with few words to offer, as I spent most of the time listening and processing perspectives. All I can really say is that there are many people here who have the ambition to achieve something higher, but are blocked for a multitude of reasons. Vague, I know - but I think this is a conversation that is best had once I'm back in Canada.

Today I saw a family break apart in the household beside me. At 5:00am this morning, the father of the household packed his things, and left for Lilongwe. He told me this last night, so it wasn't a suprise when I woke up to the crashes and noises of his departure. It's a very sad thing to happen, and a strong reminder that regardless of who you are, where you are, or how you live, life and emotions happen.

All the best, and much love.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment