Kevin and Spencer

Monday, May 9, 2011

(Spencer) Pre-departure Learning: Day Zero, the League of Superheroes

Hey you lovely people,

I have arrived and thrived following the first night in the EWB house. The house is filled to the brim with 25 junior fellows and let me be first to say these are some seriously cool people. Everyone is preparing for placements in Ghana with a few exceptions. The energy in the air is palpable.

Superheroes
At the first group introduction we each shared what our names would be if we were superheroes along with our superpowers. For me; my name would be Spencasaurus-Rex with the super power of having small arms and an insatiable appetite. Why the small arms? It would be impossible for me to do any engineering reports!

EWB Values
We discussed as a group the ewb values and how we would live those values throughout the week. A quick brainstorming session later and countless methods emerged. For those who struggle remembering them, fear not for it is a struggle for the JFs as well. Heres a few examples:

  • Courageously Commit: 100% of our headspace dedicated to learning this week
  • Strive for Humility: show the vulnerable side of ourselves
  • Invest in People: create a safe space for the group where everyone is comfortable with sharing
  • Ask Tough Questions: carefully frame the issue when asking the question
  • Address the Root Cause: push yourself to ask WHY 5 times (this will come up again)
  • Dream Big, Work Hard: its a stretch goal, work for something larger than ourself
  • We Put Dorothy First: always
Mindsets
At the end of the night Cat left us with a few comments on the mindset that we should be operating in this week, it sets the tone.
  • Own your learning
  • Think critically
  • Be open and vulnerable

I will end with a short story, somehow or another I ended without a mattress for myself. To catch the nay-sayers, no I was not the last person to arrive. I like to think it is the humility....but regardless, it was 1:30am and i'm blowing up a double air mattress with my lungs, needless to say when I had it completely filled I passed out like a rock due to the lack of oxygen...

More to come!

Spencer

No comments:

Post a Comment