Kevin and Spencer

Monday, May 23, 2011

(Spencer) Reemergence

Hello after a many blogless night!

Internet at last! I had purchased a Vodafone mobile internet stick days ago but due to Vodafone being quite terrible in many regards only now can I connect. Though now I should have internet access anywhere within the country, at a slow speed mind you. There is a reason no one in Ghana likes to use Vodafone despite the overwhelming marketing campaign going on her (Vodafone signs everywhere, all over , the largest advertising campaign I have ever seen). The largest mobile network in Ghana, Tigo, has the slogan, "The only network that actually works." and after my experience with Vodafone I fully support this slogan!

But enough ranting about mobile networks..

Where am I? What have I been up too? What about the placement? Where will I be living? What is Ghana like? Questions, questions, questions and all will be answered in time.

Currently I am staying in the city of Tamale, the third largest in Ghana population 360000, at the Presbyterian Lay Training Center. Tamale is bustling with people and has many exciting places to explore (future posts to elaborate).  I will be departing for my placement tomorrow morning bright and early at 7am on the tro which is similar to a minibus in Malawi or a 15 person van.

The destination district is Karaga, a newly formed district where I will be working within the government at the District Planning Office (expect some posts in the future explaining the decentralized government structure in Ghana). The work I will be doing is implementing a district wide data system and promoting behaviour change in the staff to see the value of using data to make informed evidence based decisions.

I have a written a few blog posts in  the past week while I was without internet. I will toss them up and  today I will be working to write a few more, catching everyone up to speed with what has been going on.

Remember to ask questions and request content, I will do my very best to make it happen!

Much love

Spencer

1 comment:

  1. Well Spencer, I have some news for you, I too am with Vodephone, but not by choice. We can share the slow connection speeds and such together. I do have it as a mobile though, not an internet stick. I know you are going to make it safe and sound, so enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete